I view a pretty good variety of blogs day to day (although most of them are stamping blogs!) and I frequently come across inspiring thoughts that immediately apply to my creative life. Today, on a "cleaning" blog called Home Sanctuary, I found this little gem.
Have you ever avoided doing something because you thought you couldn't do it perfectly? As an artist, I sometimes struggle with wanting to produce something great every time. But fear of making a mistake or not doing it well enough can prevent me from even starting. I literally have to tell myself, "Just make a couple of bad paintings." Hey, I KNOW I can do that. It gets me out of my inertia and into a creative zone. So what if the paintings turn out bad? I was TRYING to make some bad ones....and ultimately figuring out how to do a good one.Wow. How true is that. I have been known to carve out precious time for stamping and then I end up sitting there just looking at magazines or fiddling with some unimportant organizational item. I'm too intimidated to start... even if I'm just telling myself I don't have a good idea. Sometimes it takes just beginning. Sometimes you just have to make something that's ugly... and who knows... it could end up being one of your most wonderful creations!

2 comments:
Tracey - thanks for giving me some food for thought! ~chris
Very well said, Tracey! This is totally my problem! If I don't think I can do it perfectly, I tend to find other things to do to delay starting the project ... like spending time on the computer .. yikes!
Post a Comment