Have you ever been planning to do a project for what seems like forever... but it just keeps getting put off? This is just that kind of project. A long while ago I bought a clock at my local office supply store with the intention of personalizing it for my work space. I set the clock on my shelf and there it sat... it's been about a year and a half. I was cleaning things out and getting organized for the new SU! year when I saw that it was still on the shelf. Now it's on my wall!
I started with a very basic wall clock. I think it cost about $20. You can probably find one cheaper... I'm not a very good deal shopper, I just don't have to time to look at every store! Anyway, I took the clock apart by unscrewing the back. The hands removed with a gentle pull. Then I removed the face piece. This was a very light weight plastic that had basically been hot glued in place. I traced the face onto my cardstock. It was a circle with a "notch" for proper placement.
Then I began to stamp. Use your imagination for this, but keep in mind that it's always nice to be able to read the numbers on your clock. In hindsight I might have stuck with a less bold design so the numbers would stick out, but then again I really wanted the bold colors. After I stamped, I trimmed out the new clock face. I then place the new face on top of the original, lining up the notch. Holding it up to my lamp, I very lightly marked the minute lines, making the 5 minute lines slightly more bold. I used my ruler and black marker to make pretty little lines over the marks. I glued the numbers in place (these were made with my Sizzix). Woohoo!
The face was finished. Now I had the easy job of putting the clock back together. Just a few notes on this - the hands have little grooves that will line up so they move properly. They can be tricky to line up, so just be patient. Also, when you handle the glass face, be very careful. The edges are not necessarily finished and are very capable of cutting every single one of your fingers. Yup... you guessed it... ask me how I know.
I hope you have fun with this project in your house. I'll be making at least one more... the boy wants a clock for his room.
Stamp Sets: Pick a Petal, Itty Bitty Backgrounds Paper: Whisper White, Pacific Point Ink: Basic Black, Riding Hood Red, Kiwi Kiss, Tangerine Tango, Pacific Point
Sunday, August 17, 2008
In Color Clock
Labels:
in color,
not a card

1 comment:
How cute and creative!! You've got me thinking, there's no clock in my stamp room, hmmm....!
Post a Comment